Losing the Garden… No More

It’s been a bunch of weeks since I last posted. Life has tossed me some loops, and it’s been a rough ride. My main concern as far as this space is concerned was that I thought I would no longer have this house and would be returning to the land of rental hell. I had stopped doing anything in the yard besides collecting tomatoes and mowing. It was part of my process of letting go. Somewhere in the midst of feeling like I was needing to let go, I realized my garden is my biggest, most significant place of sanctuary in my life. It’s also one of the bigger ways in which I express my creativity.

Leaving the house appears like it will no longer be the case. I won’t go into those details much, but me keeping the house involves a lot of outside help, for which I’m very grateful. Getting a decent full-time job after my 3 months of unemployment also helps.

This means I feel much better re-engageing with my ‘blog and the greater gardener community on the whole. While I missed the opportunity to apply for Travis County Master Gardener training (just too much uncertainty at the time to go through with it), I still hope to build my friendships with that community, too, as well as the other wonderful people I’ve met through the Austin Garden Bloggers page on Facebook.

I have some topics for posts in mind, so I hope you’ll join me as I re-energize this space!

8 Responses

Page 1 of 1
  1. Daisy
    Daisy July 13, 2011 at 3:56 pm | | Reply

I’m glad to hear that your situation is looking up. My garden, too, is my sanctuary, my retreat. It’s so much more than just growing vegetables.

2. Laura
    Laura July 13, 2011 at 8:00 pm | | Reply

Thanks for showing me around your sanctuary recently. I can understand why it is so important to you. I am happy you are able to keep your garden and that it can continue to sustain you.

3. Kelly
    Kelly July 14, 2011 at 2:30 pm | | Reply

As I consider the possibility of selling our house in the next few years, I find it hard to imagine the reality of leaving behind all this dirt in which I’ve invested so much energy, physical and otherwise.

It’s good to hear you won’t be leaving yours behind in the immediate future, but it’s a good thing to contemplate for when the time comes.

4. Mom in Kingwood
    Mom in Kingwood July 14, 2011 at 8:14 pm | | Reply

Missed your blog. Good to see you back.

5. Monica
    Monica July 15, 2011 at 11:03 am | | Reply

Yes, I’ve missed your blog, too. Glad you are back!

6. renee
    renee July 15, 2011 at 11:45 pm | | Reply

Glad to hear your good news. And I totally get how tending a garden can help you feel solid and grounded even when life seems to be trying to throw you off balance.

7. sarah
    sarah July 17, 2011 at 1:42 pm | | Reply

hi marc,

i just found your blog and can relate so much. i recently moved from chicago to nyc (not my choice) and had to leave behind my garden. it’s been more heartbreaking than i expected.

i was looking for austin gardening blogs, since i plan to move back there (it’s my hometown) sometime next year and all my gardening experience is in a northern climate. i can’t wait to see how it all goes for you and learn a thing or two :)

re: your rain barrel, i was able to find one on craigslist for $30 and it looks like the guy made it the same way you did yours. i told my mom about it and she found someone selling them on austin craigslist for the same amount.

8. Daphne Richards
    Daphne Richards July 22, 2011 at 12:56 pm | | Reply

I look forward to seeing you apply for the Master Gardener program in the future. Best of luck getting back into your garden!